Although the region of Essaouira was inhabited since Antiquity by the Berber natives, the Phoenicians and then the Romans, it was not until the 16th century that the site was really occupied by the Portuguese, who built in 1506 Fortress and ramparts quickly abandoned in front of the fierce resistance of the local population.
Situated on the Atlantic coast, the city of Essaouira is 173 km north of Agadir, 174 km west of Marrakech and 406 km southwest of Casablanca. It is the eponymous capital of the province of Essaouira, within the Marrakech-Safi region. The town is bounded to the south and east by the commune of Sidi Kaouki, to the north by the municipality of Lagdadra, to the east by the commune of Aït Saïd and to the west by the Atlantic Ocean.
The foundation of the city of Essaouira proper is the idea of Sultan Mohammed ben Abdellah, who ordered its construction from 1760. Several renowned architects participate, such as Theodore Cornut, who draws up the plan of the city. Once built, it continues to grow and is a golden age and an exceptional development, becoming the most important commercial port of the country, but also its diplomatic capital between the end of the eighteenth century and the first half of the nineteenth century. It also becomes a multicultural and artistic city.
Copyright 2017 - All Rights Reserved